Greetings from Amsterdam!
I have found a small timeframe amidst all the wonderful things I am seeing and hearing to deliver a small report on what has happened yesterday (I didn’t find the time to finish this post yesterday ):
– The keynote: a rehash of the MMS one, but still with a lot of punch. The Microsoft Cloud story has never been more vibrant and believable than now! Server 2012 combined with System Center 2012 will be the summun of how innovation can drive change in the IT-market.
– Modernizing your datacenter: an in-depth session regarding what Server 2012 offers regarding manageability, scalability and many other features. The announcement of a new management interface (OMI or Opens Management Interface) that will allow you to use PowerShell to manage all devices in your cloud was a great announcement!
– What’s new in Hyper-V 2012: the most mind blowing session of this day! SAN-level file transfers @ 1gb/s, 1 million IOPS from a single VM, live-migration purely over LAN-cable… And this was only the short version! VMWare has gained a real competitor (successor? ) with this release! The announcement of Hyper-V Server 2012 and the beta of the VMWare Converter was also nice to hear.
– What’s new in SCVMM 2012 SP1: one of the sessions I picked to quickly fill me in on the new stuff appearing on family-products of my focus ones. The 2012-VMM release is a major revolution of the product, allowing you to manage clouds, fabric (storage & network) and services (SQL, IIS) from a single pane of glass. The SP1-update adds support for all the Hyper-V 2012 features. A somewhat short, but nice overview session about the product!
– Top 10 production experiences with SCO and SCSM: a sort of ‘notes from the field’ session with technical and functional tips and tricks on how to approach a SCSM-SCO combined project. Very useful to learn some thing I can put in practice on my own projects!
– SCCM 2012 Overview: I picked this session more as a ‘refresh my mind’ one instead of a learning experience, and of course to see Wally Mead on stage! It is very useful to hear once more the new feature both in 2012 RTM and SP1 (the latter did provide me with some new info).
Afterwards I went to the Belgian delegate party where I got to meet some interesting co-enthusiasts and of course the always present team of www.scug.be .
Today (27/06/2012) I finished my second round of TechEd-goodness, and am now off to another party involving the Amsterdam Arena and a certain Eurocup-match
I’ll summarize my experiences of this day in the following article, see you then!